Michael Jackson Fan Appreciation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heal The World

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I Wanna Be Where You Are

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

I Wanna Be Where You Are Empty
PostSubject: I Wanna Be Where You Are   I Wanna Be Where You Are Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 pm

"I Wanna Be Where You Are" is a song written by Arthur "T-Boy" Ross and Leon Ware for Michael Jackson, who took the song to number sixteen on the U.S. pop singles chart and number two on the U.S. R&B singles chart in 1972. His third straight Top 40 pop hit during his early solo career in Motown, it was also the first collaboration between Ware and Ross, the younger brother of R&B singer Diana Ross. This song would be one of Jackson's most covered songs, with singers including Marvin Gaye, Willie Hutch, Jason Weaver and The Fugees. Ware and Ross would be famous together for penning the classic Marvin Gaye single, "I Want You" several years afterwards.

I Wanna Be Where You Are Michael_Jackson_-_I_Wanna_Be_Where_You_Are
Back to top Go down
https://mjfa.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I Wanna Be Where You Are   I Wanna Be Where You Are Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Track Listing

A. "I Wanna Be Where You Are" - 2:58
B. "We've Got a Good Thing Going" - 2:59
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I Wanna Be Where You Are   I Wanna Be Where You Are Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Covers and Samples

While the versions of Hutch's and Weaver's followed the original, the Fugees' version was completely different save for the choruses sung by Lauryn Hill while Marvin's was more of an instrumental except for Marvin singing the title and dedicating the track to his then-girlfriend Janis Hunter and his children Marvin III (referred as "little Marvin" on the record), Nona and Frankie Christian. The alternate instrumental, later issued on a deluxe edition re-release of Marvin's I Want You album, was a funk-styled instrumental that featured Marvin's background vocals harmonizing throughout the track, which was also produced by Ware.
Juelz Santana sampled the song on two tracks- Did U Miss Me pts.1 & 2 on the DJ Green Lantern mixtape Alive on Arrival.
1970s
Dusty Springfield performed the song on the BBC1 TV show It's Lulu, Not To Mention Dudley Moore which aired in July 1972.
Gary Bartz opened his 1972 album Juju Street Songs with an interpretation of the song.
In 1978, Latin jazz flutist Dave Valentin covered an instrumental version of the song on his debut album Legends, which was also the debut release of the then-new GRP Records label (a subsidiary of Arista Records).
1980s
Jose Feliciano, on his first album for Motown Records, produced by Berry Gordy, covered the song in English and then re-recorded it in 1982 on his next LP at Motown in Spanish (the title became "Ahora Si Quiero Amar").
MC Lyte also sampled the song for her "Poor Georgie Track" in 1989.
1990s
There is an interpolation of the song in Grand Puba's 1995 hit "I Like It (I Wanna Be Where You Are)" from the album 2000.
SWV covered the song on the 1998 original soundtrack for the film Hav Plenty.[1]
2000s
VH1's 2003 reality series Born To Diva’s winner Tarralyn Ramsey sampled the song on her second album Tarralyn in 2004.
Chris Brown's "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" sampled the song on his 2005 eponymous debut album.
Carleen Anderson performed the song as a duet with Paul Weller on her 2005 album, "Soul Providence."
Hutch's version was sampled by singer Mary J. Blige for her song, "You Can't Hide from Luv" from her The Breakthrough album.
Jennifer Lopez sampled the song in her song "Gotta Be There", which is included in her 2007 album Brave.
Murs sampled the song for "Can It Be (Half A Million Dollars And 18 Months Later)" on his 2008 album Murs For President.
In July 2009, rapper 50 Cent freestyled over the instrumental and left Jackson's vocals. The song titled "Michael Jackson Freestyle" released on his mixtape Forever King.
Beyoncé covered the song for her live CD/DVD I Am... Yours: An Intimate Performance at Wynn Las Vegas.
SWV also sampled the song for their own version with Missy Elliott vocals for the Hav Plenty soundtrack.
Q "The Kid" sampled for the song "Been Away" which features Jermaine Dupri, which appears on the Drumline soundtrack.

2010s
Urban jazz keyboardist Bob Baldwin released a cover from the album, Brazil Chill and 2010 for his tribute album Never Can Say Goodbye.[2]
Cali Swag District sampled the song for their second single "Where You Are" off their debut album The Kickback.
R&B artist Sybil recorded the song for her eponymous second album, her first one for the American market. The song was not released as a single.
Beyoncé covered the song for her live DVD Live at Roseland: Elements of 4.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I Wanna Be Where You Are   I Wanna Be Where You Are Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Song Credits

Michael Jackson Version

Produced by Hal Davis
Lead vocals by Michael Jackson
Arrangement by James Anthony Carmichael
Hollers by Leon Ware and Arthur Ross
Instrumentation by assorted Los Angeles musicians
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I Wanna Be Where You Are   I Wanna Be Where You Are Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Charts

Chart (1972) Peak
position
U.S. Billboard Hot 100 16
U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs 2
U.S. Billboard Cash Box 7
Turkey Singles Chart 87
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Wanna Be Where You Are   I Wanna Be Where You Are Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Wanna Be Where You Are
Page 1 of 1